
A few summers ago, my entire family went on an Alaskan cruise. It was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had, and the most beautiful. I think the history and beauty of Alaska is something that escapes most Americans because the state is so far away. But that's why I liked this article I found about Alaska. The link is listed below.
Alaska's Great Wide OpenA land of silvery light and astonishing peaks, the country's largest state perpetuates the belief that anything is possibleby Pico Iyer,
Smithsonian Magazine, November 2009
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/The-Great-Wide-Open.html?c=y&page=1#ixzz0fFYrdSFX
I love really the dialogue in the article; it makes the reader feel like they were there with the author and therefore, the article instantly becomes very personable. I also like the process the writer takes in informing us of his daily activities as he travels the state, but describes it in a way that isn't mundane and we look forward to what adventure is next. Again, it makes us feel like we are actually in the story. Giving a little background on Alaska is also great because it helps inform the reader of the state's history without disrupting the story's narrative. This also includes the little tidbits about each town, which aren't fluffy; instead, they are fun, interesting and just light enough to act as a garnish to the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment